Friday, February 11, 2011

"These Fish Have Manners!" -Jerry McGuire


When visiting Dan's brother and his family in San Diego recently we enjoyed a day at the San Diego Zoo with our two nieces, Ella and Nora.

Ella is confident and gregarious, often stopping other little girls to say, "Well aren't you a cute girl! How old are you? I'm five!" and peeking in baby stroller's to announce to the baby's parent, "Well isn't that a cute girl... or is it a boy?"

At one point Ella astutely pointed out that a man 20 feet in front of us was wearing the same jacket as Uncle Dan, to which Dan, always antagonizing our nieces and nephews, said, "Yes, but mine is much better."

Ella's brows furrowed and then she looked up at Uncle Dan to proclaim, "You should not brag. Bragging is not nice!"

Naturally I was tickled by Ella's statement, so I praised her.

Then she kept talking to me about the importance of good manners, eventually ending with the statement, "I have such good manners. I'm so glad I don't brag."

Classic.

No comments: