Thursday, April 29, 2010

Bad Dreams and Coda Things

Dear Coda,
Why do we love you so much? Is it because you stay in bed with whichever of us gets up last? Is it because you let us stick our fingers in your nostrils, probe your ears, and hold your paws as if they were hands? Or because even when you are starving and there's a bowl of dog food 2 feet away, you'd rather have us pet you than eat?

Maybe it's because you sleep-talk as much as we do? Or have a fast metabolism like us?

Maybe it's the games you play with us: seeing if we can kiss you on the nose while you pretend not to see us, and then whip around to lick us before our lips reach their target, or having a stare down contest with you because it makes you put your head back in a 90 degree angle to your neck, and it's just SO FUNNY EVERY TIME.

I had a dream last night that I made you pull me in a cart across the desert until we reached Arizona, and you became dehydrated and died. I woke up crying, and in my half-awake stupor promised you I would NEVER have you pull me in a cart across the desert. NEVERRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Love,
Stephanie


No comments: